Monday, August 16, 2010

Zuccini Flower Tacos!

Yesterday I just had the most amazing meal I have had in a very long time! Zuccini Flower TACOS, it was as Mexican as it can get! While I was cooking, their aroma brought me back to a Mexican street market. Street food in Mexico is delicious, you can find all the flavour you need in most of the corners of the city. Tacos al Pastor is one of the best street foods, but sometimes when you are able to wake up early on a Sunday morning to go to the street market, you will never regret it. Even people who have partied all night just wake up early the next day to go for a special treat. The markets just have a lot more of variety and always manage to put a smile on your face as they start combining all the good old flavours!..
So, after an amazing day at Kensington market with my best friend, who also loves Mexican food, I came back home full of familiar flavours. Epazote, Flores de Calabaza, Chiles Serranos, Tortillas.. etc. etc. etc. Perola Market is the best place in Toronto to buy real authentic Mexican food, it doesn't matter if I live all the way in Etobicoke, I will visit this market more often. I also have to thank my mom who on her last visit brought me an amazing book full of authentic Mexican recipes. Now, I am able to cook at home all those Mexican delights our bellies have been craving for so long!

So, without further ado, here is the recipe!!

Zuccini Flower Tacos

Ingredients:
12 zuccini flowers
a medium-sized white onion (sliced)
2 chiles serranos (sliced)
a handful of Epazote (chopped)
salt & pepper
4 tbsp of canola oil
6 corn tortillas
1/2 cup of refried beans
sour cream
salsa verde

Directions:
Add all zuccini flowers, sliced white onion, sliced chiles serranos, chopped epazote, 2 tbsp of canola oil and salt & pepper in a bowl. Mix well to coat everything with the oil. On a high heat pan add a splash of oil, once is hot add the zuccini flowers mix and let it cook until the onions are translucent and a little brown.

On another high heat pan add a splash of oil and when hot, cook the tortillas for a few seconds on each side. Be careful not to brown them. Once everything is ready assemble by spreading some of the beans into the tortilla, then put some of the zuccini flowers mix into each of the tortillas and finish it with some salsa verde and sour cream.

And you've got yourself some authentic Mexican TACOS!

4 comments:

  1. I really really need to find me some zucchini Flowers, I am having NO luck. These look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while but I found them at the Kensington market!.. you might have luck there.. but I want more!! I should have bought lots of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some taco!! I like the concept with the flowers! It's nice when smells and flavors bring us back in time!!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love my Zucchini blossoms, now thats a new one for me, great use of those litle beauties...I have been buying them every week at our local farmers market!

    ReplyDelete