Monday, March 8, 2010

Dim Sum Dynasty

I just had my first encounter with Dim Sum last week, and I have to say I was pretty surprised!.. In a good way of course. The texture is very different from what I am used to eat, but the flavours inside those little balls are perfect.

Shrimp Dumpling
For those who are not very familiar with Dim Sum, let me explain: Traditional dim sum includes various types of steamed buns such as cha siu baau (Hanzi: 叉烧包, Pinyin: chāshāobāo), dumplings and rice noodle rolls (cheung fun), which contain a variety of ingredients, including beef, chicken, pork, shrimps or vegetables. Dim Sum can be steamed, which is very healthy as don't have fat, but if you want to add a little bit of richness you can also have fried dim sum!
Steamed Seafood Dumplings with Chives
Sticky Rice Wrapped in Lotus Leaf
Deep Fried Sesame Shrimp Rolls
Shrimp and Pork Dumplings
Crispy Spring Rolls with Chicken
Here in Toronto there is a great place at Bloor called Dynasty. This place is supposed to be one of the Best Dim Sum restaurants in the city, and I have to agree with that statement. I enjoyed the food there and although it wasn't cheap, the food was really worth it! Dinner for 2 was approx. $45.00 bucks, but we had a very good meal.
As Dim Sum is usually linked with the older tradition of Yum Cha (drinking tea), which has its roots in travellers on the ancient Silk Road needing a place to rest, I couldn't ignore the Green Tea aroma in the air and ended up helping myself with a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment