Sunday, February 14, 2010

My version of "Spring Rolls"

In my first year of cooking I wanted to try almost everything. I had so much free time when I first got to Canada that I was able to try all kinds of things, but cooking was the one I enjoyed the most! As I started with the cooking thing, I wanted to become an open mind chef. I explored foods that were not very familiar to me, one of them being Thai food. Soon enough those little things called spring rolls became one of my favourites. After trying a couple of spring rolls recipes, I found THE ONE!.. and Now I am sharing it with you!!..

Spring Rolls
Yield: 6

Ingredients
Dipping Sauce:

3/4 cup water
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp honey
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce or to taste
1/3 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen.... or cherries...

Spring Rolls:

1 cup of carrots, julienne
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/4 lb. white mushrooms, chopped
3 x scallions, finely sliced
4 cups finely sliced napa cabbage
1 cup of cooked rice noodles
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
salt and pepper

Directions

Dipping Sauce:

In a saucepan over medium heat, bring all ingredients to a boil. Let simmer 2 to 3 minutes until the cranberries start to split. Strain if desire.

Spring Rolls
In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the carrots in the oil until soft. Add mushrooms and scallions and cook until all the liquid in the skillet has evaporated. Add the cabbage and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the noodles, soy sauce and fish sauce. Transfer to a bowl and let it chill.
Preheat oven to 400F. Lay a sheet of phyllo paper on a flat surface. Brush oil and cover with another sheet. Brush again with oil and spoon 1/3 of the filling along one of the long sides. Roll into a cylinder. Cut the cylinder into 6 rolls. Place the rolls on a baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake until crisp and brown, around 25 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment