Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Seed Salsa for Enchiladas

When I started this blog I really didn't know what was going to be my main focus. It wasn't until I came to Toronto that I started falling in love with cooking and becoming a real "foodie", I mean I have always appreciated food but never the way I have come to appreciate it here. When I first moved to Canada, I develop a passion for cooking as I had to cook for myself all the time, it turned out I really enjoy cooking.

I know some of you understand how hard it is to move and start your life in a whole different country, and finding something you love that opens your eyes to new and different possibilities is quite awesome. Cooking here has made me realize how much amazing flavours I had back home that I never quite appreciated before. So more and more as I really immerse myself into my ancestors traditions and food culture I know that this is what I was really trying to share with you.

Sometimes I feel really bad that even though I grew up eating Mexican food, I never learned how to prepare all those flavourful recipes, that is why from now on as I am trying to tackle one of my most beloved cookbooks of all times "The Essential Cuisines of Mexico", you will see all types of Mexican recipes posted from now on in this blog. The best part of all is that most of the ingredients are available here, and even though it takes me a good hour to get there, I really enjoy the smells of that little store in the core of Kensington Market.

So... anywhooooooo..
Here it goes


Pumpkin Seed Salsa for Enchiladas

Ingredients

1 cup of hulled raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup of unhulled raw pumpkin seeds
1 to 2 chiles serranos
1 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
340g of green tomatoes broiled (tomatillos asados)
1/2 cup of water, or more if needed
2 heaped tbsp of cilantro
2 heaped tbsp of white onions

Directions:

In a frying pan toast the unhulled pumpkin seeds until browned and crispy, stir continuously. Then, add the hulled pumpkin seeds and toast for another minute or so. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Meanwhile toast the chile until blistered and black brown in spots. Using a food processor, grind the toasted seeds together with the salt to a coarse powder, then add the tomatoes, chile, cilantro, water & onions and process until it has the consistency of salsa. If it is too thick add more water. Note: Add water little by little to get the desired consistency, your salsa might not need the full 1/2 cup, it depends on how thick or runny you like it.
Serve it at room temperature on top of "Taquitos Dorados de Pollo" Chicken tacos, or use as a salsa for quesadillas, etc..

6 comments:

  1. this is just a drop dead gorgeous dish, the flavors just look so great

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting recipe. I suppose the unhulled seeds are left to add a certain flavor? Mexican food is my favorite to prepare. I usually turn to my Rick Bayless Books, but will have to put this Essentials Cookbook on my Amazon Wish List.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dish was really really good!! You guys have to try it..
    Ben share your recipe too! I was looking at your blog and it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I have some pumpkins, waiting to be deseeded, in the kitchen. This dish sounds so amazing that I think I'm saving them for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking about something similar for awhile and am so glad you posted this- saves me the work ;) Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete