Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pork in Prune Sauce

I have been adapting to Canadian festivities and this year's thanksgiving wasn't the exception. I know I am coming with this post somewhat late, but nevertheless wanted to share this delicious recipe with all of you because it was pretty amazing. I didn't go the traditional route this year, which all of you know is TURKEY, but instead I prepared this very special meal as the flavours are just out of this world. It is a very well known recipe in Mexico and sometimes used for fancy special dinners, at my sister's house we have had it for Christmas. This is the type of recipe you probably would stay away from any regular day, as it takes a long time to prepare, but as I wanted to cook something special for Thanksgiving.. and this was the perfect opportunity to try something fancy and laborious other than Turkey..... well I ended up prepping and cooking for 2 days, and it was WORTH IT!..


Some of you would prefer having Turkey for Thanksgiving but if you want to try something new once in a while and surprise your guests.. please try this one!! I don't even know what else to say to persuade you into cooking this recipe, but please do!!.. it is so good you will just want to eat the entire thing by yourself!.. And before you hesitate saying something like .. ohhh I would try it but I don't like prunes.. let me tell you .. I don't like them either .. but all the flavours melt together in this recipe, so .. don't be afraid to try it!


Pork in Prune Sauce

Ingredients:

750g Pork
The juice of 2 limes
5 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp of Chile ancho (grounded)
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
salt to taste
1 white onion (chopped)
250 ml of chicken stock
12 tomatoes (chopped)
12 prunes
1 tsp sugar
a pinch of grind cinnamon
a pinch of pepper
a pinch of cumin

Directions:

Combine the pork, lime juice, garlic, chile powder, salt and half the oil and let marinate for a whole night. You can do this using a plastic bag such as ziploc bags. Preheat the oven at 350°F, meanwhile remove the pork from the sauce, dry it with a paper towel and sear it on both sides in a high heat oven proof pot, reserve the sauce. Once the meat is evenly fried on both sides, add the sauce, chicken stock and onion. Put the lid on the pot and place in the oven for 2 to 3 hours or until the pork is tender. Remove the pot from the oven, with a spoon try to remove as much fat as possible, then add the tomatoes and bake for 20 mins more. Then add the prunes, sugar, cinnamon, cumin and pepper, rise the temperature to 400°F and bake for 20 more mins or until the pork is super super tender and the sauce has thickened. Serve with hot tortillas or serve as is with some veggies.

8 comments:

  1. It looks very comforting and complex, and I'm sure, delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the complex taste of Mexican food, especially in oven dishes like this one. The visual result is spectacular, too. Thanks for sharing!
    Dominique

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious. I love to use prunes and am always on the lookout for more ways to incorporate them in dishes. Thanks for the recipe.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous. Cheers to you for enjoying a non-traditional meal Thanksgiving. Mexican food can be so flavorful and delicious.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you've convinced me to try it. For some reason I'm wanting to try something different for Thanksgiving, but with my mom coming to town, I think she'd prefer the traditional roasted turkey. This really looks like a complex combination of flavors, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pork looks incredibly delicious!! I kind of remember my grandmother making something similar. Thanks for stirring those wonderful memories!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so delicious!!... i would love to have some of this:) thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is, by far, one of the best things I've had the chance to try... and I always eat whatever she cooks

    My top 5:

    1. this one
    2. rosca de reyes
    3. tacos, any kind
    4. tempura
    5. salmon pizza

    ReplyDelete