Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tempura 主な訳語

For whatever reason I got more attached to sushi and Japanese food when I arrived to Canada. Even though in Mexico we also have sushi, and it is pretty similar to what Canadians are used to, we don't have sushi restaurants in every corner as you will find here, specially in Toronto!.. Anyways, Now that I have become such a Japanese food lover, I had to learn how to cook Tempura!!.. It is so good and a great appetizer!

I don't have a deep fryer, so having a thermometer was a huge help to get the temperature I needed. I highly recommend it!.. Also I know there are a couple of recipes for tempura, some say to use half wheat flour and half rice flour, and there are a bunch of other combinations but I used for this one only wheat flour and it turned out OK. And it's easier to have regular flour on your pantry.
Tempura:
Ingredients:

1 cup flour

1 cup of sparkling water

A bunch of broccoli florets

1/2 onion

2 sweet potatoes

1lb shrimp

Directions:

Fill 1/3 of a pot over high heat with vegetable oil until it hits 375F.


When the temperature is almost ready, prepare the flour mix. Combine the flour with the sparkling water, but don't over mix it, it's supposed to be lumpy. Coat the vegetables and shrimps one by one and.... start deep frying!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Love tempura...maybe a bit too much. Not good for the ol' diet. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that it is no good for a healthy diet! hahaha but I can't help it .. and once in a while its harmless!!! right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tempura! Cauliflower is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a huge fan of tempura but all that frying makes me a little nervous when i'm cooking at home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tempura is amazing, but I've never made it at home. Yours looks fantastic! I had sushi once in Mexico and was so surprised when my friends ordered Philadelphia sushi with cream cheese! I had never seen that here.

    ReplyDelete