Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Canadians + Pozole = Amazing birthday celebration!

I can't believe I'm 25 already!.. It hit me when I was answering a survey yesterday and had to choose my age range... it wasn't in the (18-24 range) anymore.
Let me tell you that back in Mexico I often had crappy birthdays, mainly because it is on the same weekend as our Independence celebration and obviously the main focus is around that and the fact that we get a day off. This means less people in the city and fewer friends to party with .... luckily these Canadians aren't that familiar with our Mexican celebrations.
So, on that weekend, I decided to invite my great Canadian friends to taste a very Mexican dish, "Pozole", and celebrate my birthday.
I started cooking early Saturday and by mid day it was all done!.. People started arriving and they even brought me gifts!! A colourful sombrero piñata full of zombie eyeballs and skull shaped rings (I am pretty sure candy was recycled from last year's halloween) was the first one to arrived followed by a beautiful orchid which is staring at me right now from the heights.


We had an amazing time.. we started with the Guacamole, later on, to my surprise, everyone seemed to enjoyed the Pozole.. even Hailey!!!.. and for dessert, Ms. Chow brought Baklavas .... I ate 4!!!.. I am such a Pig!.. Allison was in charge of the mojitos!!!.. which were specially made with sparkling wine!.. and a couple of yummy salads were also part of the menu!..
I really enjoyed cooking for my friends!!.. and just because one of them asked for the recipe.. here it is!!..

Pozole
Ingredients:

2 tbsp canola oil
500 g shredded chicken
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder (I use a brand called Tajin you can find it in Kensington Market).
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
3 cups of chicken stock
1 can (around 450g) of tomatoes
1 can (around 450g) of hominy (you can find it in Loblaws).
1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced (In case you like it hot).
Salt & pepper
Avocado slices
Green onions
For more garnish you can add a tsp of sour cream.

Directions:

In a soup pot heat the oil, working in batches to avoid crowding, brown the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.

Add the onion to the pot and sauté for 3-5 mins. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Stir to blend the spices evenly. Add the stock, tomatoes, hominy, jalapeño and browned chicken with any juices. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low heat and cover. Check the chicken is fully cooked and everything is warm and nice.

To serve, ladle the soup into soup bowls and garnish with the avocado slices, green onions and cream.

ENJOY!!!!..

1 comment:

  1. I love Pozole. I made some once with shrimp and corn. I don't know how authentic it was, but it was delicious. I'm so glad to see a blog with real Mexican recipes. Keep them coming!
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete